Sunday, June 14, 2009




WHERE THE BUTTERFLIES GO
This is a gourd that I did for a young ladies birthday and of course they making of them always trigger thoughts and scenes in my minds.

Butterflies are full of joy, a bright spot in any ones day even for dogs. I have an ancient Border Collie mix, a delightful bob-tailed lady who has made me smile most days. We lost the dog she raised and trained almost two years ago, a German Shorthair/Boxer mix, to cancer. Sadie still mourns Durango's loss.

Sadie delighted in leaping high into the sky after butterflies when she was in her prime. No she never caught one. Part of me thinks she did not really want to catch one she just wanted to try and it was fun. This dog could leap into the air straight up about six feet and bark while she was doing it (for some reason she never jumped the fence. How thankful for that I was!). We had a rope tied to a branch on a tree in the back yard at the home we had in Idaho Falls, ID and she could spend hours jumping and barking. No I did not let her go on and on, but I knew she would have if left to her own devices. Sadie does not jump any more and I do have to help her get up if it is a cold morning or damp out and she sleeps most of the time but she still has that bright spark in her eyes even though they don't see as well as they used to but she still can see well enough for hand signals. I use them a lot anymore as she cannot hear but the upside is thunder doesn't scare her anymore and the fourth of July fireworks do not factor into our lives either.

This butterfly gourd brought back many happy memories of Sadie's younger days and when she is sleeping and her feet are running I know she is still chasing butterflies in the sunshine and life is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment