Saturday, December 19, 2009

Mike the Headless Chicken poster 'Muscles'

Creating Mike is quite a process. It is pretty much completed in my mind before it ever goes to paper. Just the way I process.

Here we have Mike and Henrietta all sketched out for their new 80's look. Its really good to start with the easy part first that's why I did the legs now. Not that it is that much easier but it was a quick way to get it going. Doesn't look like much now but just wait!

After I lay in the base for his world class bod each feather gets to be added. What was I thinking! Was I..... momentary panic set in... going to be able to do this? How to make feathers on an old rooster ( sorry Mike, but you are older than I am) and still have it look like a body builder's body?

Each feather needs to follow the contour of the muscles to create that wonderful form of strength. You should be able to see the shading underneath the feathers. This is my guide for his fabulous shape. As the illustration develops more shading will be added with a cool blue color and the detail of the feathers will also help the illusion of muscle.
There is much to do on Mike and more is done than you see here. But this will give you an idea of how it is going but maybe not where it is going.

I think that Henrietta will be focused on for the next post. She is a cutie. Will she be wearing 1980's style make up? That was a trip. As for big hair, well she just has big hair.

Your comments are welcomed. I also have a fan page on facebook SEDG with my 'Moon Maiden' logo where you can see some of my work and a few things on Zazzel.com/SEDG_Art if you are interested in seeing other things I do.

Well I need to go pluck feathers. Deadline you know.

2 comments:

  1. Hello!
    Thank you for following my blog! Your gourds are beautiful!! In the new year I will be blogging more and offering gourd tips and washed craft ready gourds for artists....check back! Have a great Christmas...peace. Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post....Watching Mike's development is so intriguing.

    ReplyDelete