Saturday, February 14, 2009

The Little Gourd part 2



There it was, my dad's jigsaw, I smiled as I picked it up, visions of my father played in my head as I held it and then.......wait a minute. How was this to be accomplished? Hold the gourd between my legs as I decapitated it. No, maybe hold it in my hand...I immediately counted my ten fingers and decided they were keepers and put the jig up. This will be done with no machinery thank you.

Well in my desire to keep my digits these tools were found:a blade for the jigsaw, an Exacto blade set, a bamboo skewer and electrical tape. Sorry, McGyver, no duct tape but it worked.

I sawed on my lap with the jigsaw blade (logic there somewhere maybe because I held the "power", not an electric saw), turning slowly as I went, eyeballing where the line would meet itself. You would think that to draw a line would be the way to go but being somewhat of a free spirit, I winged it. Yeah its level.. for the most part.

Well, would you look at that. No wonder it didn't rattle like the other gourds. It is crammed full of gourd guts. You know seeds, to the max. Hmmm, should I save them and grow my own gourds? Well now that is something to think about later.

It took some time to get the seeds and such to let go so that they could be removed , and the Exacto knife could only reach so far but man would it ever end. Scrape, scrape, shake, shake out of a rather small opening.

Well another tool was needed that was longer than the blade handles. A paint brush is long enough but didn't want to use a paint brush to attach the round Exacto blade to
as it might ruin a perfectly good brush. Thankfully there was an aha! moment. Bamboo skewers. They might work really well as they have a flat end to attach the blade to and a pointed one to dislodge the insides from the gourd wall. One round scraper blade, skewer, and electrical tape make the perfect tool.

Things moved along quite quickly from there and oh sooo much more came out. If it had to be put back we would be in trouble because there is no way! Would you look at that!

Well, now it is ready to illustrate for the rattle it is to be with dragonflies, wolves and such with a wise old owl to watch over it all.

3 comments:

  1. I think the gourds are beautiful. I had no idea there was one waiting on a shelf for me when I asked you to do a rattle for me. I am looking forward to following the progress and see my rattle come to life!!!!!

    Linda in Gallup

    ReplyDelete
  2. It popped into my mind when we were talking but I had to hold it in my hands to see if that was correct and I could visualize what you wanted on it. The wise old owl is done. Postings tomorrow

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, If you would like to see the photos I took for you on Saturday.........
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/dave_wadsworth/3936455639/in/set-721576224135827
    That is the address. Go take a look. Dave

    ReplyDelete